As a culinary enthusiast and a passionate member of the Foodies of New England team, I find immense joy in crafting sandwiches that arouse the senses and compel us to appreciate the simplicity of natural ingredients melded together in perfect harmony. Today, I’m thrilled to share with you a recipe that resonates deeply with my affection for wholesome, plant-based foods: Crispy Tempeh Triangles with Smashed Avocado & White Bean Hummus.
The conception of this dish emerged from my longing for comfort food that not only nourishes the body but also elicits a sense of contentment and satisfaction. I’ve always been enamored by the rustic charm of a well-constructed sandwich, and this creation is the embodiment of rustic elegance. As spring begins to grace us with its presence, my palate yearns for vibrant, fresh flavors paired with textures that delight with every bite. It’s this very craving that has birthed this sandwich – a delightful blend of creamy, rich, and crispy elements that are a testament to nature’s bounty.
Crispy Tempeh Triangles, Smashed Avocado & White Bean Hummus Sandwich
- 1 pan
- 1 small bowl
- 1 lb tempeh slice as desired (best to slice from one short side of tempeh to other short side of tempeh so that it is half as thin as the original piece, then slice into smaller pieces)
- coconut oil
- wheat free tamari
- 1 avocado or more as needed
- 1 lemon or more as needed
- salt & pepper to taste
White Bean Hummus:
- 1 14.5 oz. can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- red onion sliced thinly
- romaine lettuce leaves
- gluten-free bread toasted
White Bean Hummus: (Optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
To make Crispy Tempeh Triangles:
- Saute tempeh pieces in coconut oil on medium high heat. Flip tempeh pieces until they’re crisp on both sides. Add more coconut oil as needed. When tempeh has finished cooking, sprinkle with a little tamari and then remove from pan. Set aside.
To make Smashed Avocado:
- Peel avocado. Place in small bowl and mash with fork until smooth. If desired, you can leave small lumps. Add juice of lemon. Start with half of a lemon and increase to taste. Add salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
To make White Bean Hummus:
- Place cannellini beans in food processor with S blade. Add tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic clove, onion powder, cumin, spoked paprika, salt and pepper. Blend until desired consistency. Set aside.
To assemble sandwich:
- Layer tempeh, avocado, white bean hummus, red onion, and lettuce on two pieces of toasted gluten free bread.
The process of making this sandwich is as much about the journey as it is about the destination. The tempeh, with its firm texture and nutty flavor, becomes something truly special when given a crispy edge. To achieve this, I recommend slicing the tempeh thinly and marinating it briefly in a concoction of soy sauce, maple syrup, and a hint of smoked paprika. This not only infuses it with depth but also ensures that each triangle will have a caramelized crispness after pan-frying.
The smashed avocado is a celebration of simplicity. Here, less is more. A ripe avocado, a squeeze of fresh lime juice, and a sprinkle of salt are all that’s needed to elevate this fruit to its creamy potential. It’s important to smash it just enough to maintain some texture, allowing you to experience the lushness with every mouthful.
For the white bean hummus, I like to blend cannellini beans until they’re just shy of smooth, then enhance them with a touch of garlic, a drizzle of olive oil, and a generous helping of tahini for that unmistakable savoriness. The hummus acts as a canvas, bringing together the layers of our sandwich with a rich, protein-packed spread that’s both grounding and indulgent.
When assembling the sandwich, I encourage you to choose bread that will complement the fillings—a sturdy sourdough or a hearty multigrain works wonders. Toasting the bread lightly will give you a delightful contrast between the warm, crunchy exterior and the cool, creamy interior.
When it comes to savoring the Crispy Tempeh Triangles with Smashed Avocado & White Bean Hummus Sandwich, the setting and accompaniments can elevate the experience from a mere meal to a cherished memory. I find that the joy of this sandwich is amplified when shared in good company, perhaps with friends or family gathered around a sunlit table adorned with the casual elegance of nature-inspired decor.
I suggest serving this sandwich with a side that complements its rich textures and flavors without overshadowing them. A light, crisp salad dressed in a zesty vinaigrette offers a refreshing counterpoint to the creamy and savory notes of the sandwich. The acidity and crunch from the greens will cleanse the palate between bites, making each mouthful as enjoyable as the first.
For those who delight in a bit of crunch, consider offering a handful of baked sweet potato chips or a few spears of quick-pickled vegetables. These sides contribute a playful variety of textures and are a nod to the health-conscious spirit of the dish.
As for beverages, a tall glass of iced herbal tea with a sprig of mint or a slice of cucumber can provide a soothing balance, while a bright, citrusy white wine may appeal to those looking for a more indulgent pairing. The key is to choose a drink that feels like a breath of fresh air alongside the wholesome richness of the sandwich.
Finally, I believe that the act of serving is an extension of the care put into preparing a meal. Present the sandwich on a rustic wooden board or a plate with a touch of artisanal charm to reflect the thoughtfulness behind its creation. It’s these small gestures of presentation that can turn a simple lunch into a moment of tranquility and pleasure.
FAQs about Crispy Tempeh Triangles, Smashed Avocado & White Bean Hummus Sandwich
Here are some frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the Crispy Tempeh Triangles with Smashed Avocado & White Bean Hummus Sandwich:
- What is tempeh and why is it used in this sandwich? Tempeh is a traditional Indonesian soy product that’s made from fermented soybeans. It has a firm texture and a nutty flavor, which makes it an excellent source of vegetarian protein. In this sandwich, tempeh provides a satisfying crunch and a hearty element that contrasts beautifully with the creamy textures of the avocado and hummus.
- Can I make the white bean hummus ahead of time? Absolutely! Preparing the white bean hummus in advance can save you time and allow the flavors to meld together more fully. Store it in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week, and give it a good stir before spreading it on your sandwich.
- How can I ensure my tempeh triangles are crispy? To achieve the perfect crispiness, slice the tempeh thinly and marinate it to infuse flavor. When pan-frying, use a bit of oil and cook the tempeh over medium-high heat until it’s golden brown on each side. The key is to not overcrowd the pan, which allows each piece to get that desirable crispy edge.
- What type of bread is best for this sandwich? A sturdy bread that can hold up to the weight and moisture of the fillings is ideal. Sourdough or a dense multigrain loaf are excellent choices. Toasting the bread lightly adds texture and flavor that complements the fillings.
- Can I add other vegetables to the sandwich? Of course! Feel free to customize your sandwich with additional vegetables like sliced tomatoes, spinach, or cucumber for extra freshness and crunch.
- What if I don’t like tempeh? Is there a substitute? If tempeh isn’t to your liking, you could substitute it with another protein source such as tofu, grilled chicken (for non-vegetarians), or even roasted chickpeas for a different texture but still a hearty bite.
In conclusion, the Crispy Tempeh Triangles with Smashed Avocado & White Bean Hummus Sandwich is a dish that truly embodies the spirit of spring—a time for new beginnings and fresh flavors. It’s a recipe that invites you to explore the textures and tastes of wholesome ingredients, each bite a reminder of the simple yet profound pleasures of eating food that’s made with care and intention.
For those who are passionate about exploring the culinary landscape, I encourage you to delve further into the world of food and flavor. Resources like Foodies of New England offer a treasure trove of inspiration, showcasing the rich tapestry of regional cuisine and the artisans who bring it to life. It’s platforms like these that remind us of the community and culture that food can foster, connecting us across tables and transcending the boundaries of our individual kitchens.